10 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Health Club Membership
Youve decided you want (or need) to get work out more and get fit. Youre thinking about joining a health club, but youve heard too many stories about people who sign up, go one or two times, and never go back. Youre not really sure which type of club to join: a low-cost chain, a more expensive, exclusive fitness center, or a club that caters to only women or men.
Buying and maintaining a health club membership can be pretty complicated, but if you follow these 10 tips, youll save money and be on your way to greater fitness.
1. Make a list of your specific fitness needs and wants. Will you be comfortable working out in a large club with both men and women? Will you need access to more than one club? Are you looking for one-on-one personal training services? How often do you think youll work out each month? Do you think youll be able to keep up your fitness regimen? How much can you afford to pay for a membership each month?
2. Once youve identified your requirements, visit health clubs that meet your needs. Get a free pass for each club (at least a one-weeks pass) and workout at each club as often as possible during the free periods.
3. Dont sign up for a membership at any of the health clubs while youre using free passes. Youll be under a lot of pressure from salespeople and managers, and they will tell you that you need to sign up today in order to get discount pricing. Dont. Health clubs offer discount pricing all the time.
4. When youve decided a health club, go back and speak with a salesperson about membership choices. Dont feel pressured to sign a long-term contract at any health club. Remember that long-term contracts are really installment loans with high interest payments. If you dont think that youre going to keep up your workouts, dont even think about signing one of these contracts. Gather all of the written information about each type of membership, then go home and review it at your leisure. Dont feel pressured to sign up for any membership at the club.
5. When youre speaking with the salesperson, ask all of the questions you want. Dont feel rushed or pressured. Never forget that any contract you sign supersedes any promises a salesperson gives you. Even if the salesperson writes it into the contract, it probably isnt legally enforceable. The contract is king. Read it carefully before signing.
6.Compare the costs of each membership type, and remember that you should make the ultimate decision based on your own needs, not on short-term discounts that may sound like youre saving money, but will end up costing you more money in the end.
7.Make sure you fully understand the cancellation requirements of each membership type. Many long-term health club contracts are almost impossible to cancel. A month-to-month contract may be a better solution.
8.Dont sign up for automatic payments via credit card. If you no longer want a membership, and youre able to cancel, you may find it difficult to get payments stopped.
9.Keep track of all your payments in case there are any disputes with your health club.
10.If you do cancel you membership, make sure you get the cancellation in writing from your health club.
By following these 10 tips, you will certainly set yourself up for fitness success.